When I say magic, I'm talking about the art of conjurering, a form of entertainment not the hocus pocus bullshit that can cure cancer by ancient chants.
There are so many different fields and types of magic, a over simplified calssification would be close-up magic (David Blaine, Criss Angel and Cyril Takayama), Stage magic (Lance Burton, Cardini) and Illusions (David Copperfield). For each type of magic we can sub classify them into the type of material, which can be card magic, coin magic, mental magic, escapology etc.
I love magic, but there are certain things in magic that I hate.
This post can be a disgustingly long rant if I start talking about shit-heads who call themselves magicians and go out and do shows when they've only learnt magic for 1~2 yrs.
So instead, I will talk about what I hate in stage magic.
In my humble opinion, the core of magic is mystery, if there is no mystery, there is no magic.
The most important component of a magic show is the audience. Amazing how some "magicians" failed to realized this simple fact. We're performing for our audience.
I find it irritating to see the shift of magic towards the skill oriented performance. I'm not saying that magician should perform kiddy effects, but the skill should seem effortless.
There is no magic in seeing someone doing something obviously require "hours and hours locked inside your room eventhough you're not autistic"
The branch of stage magic I'm talking about, is called Manipulation Magic. I enjoy watching good manipulation, but sad there isn't many in the part of the world I'm living in.
My favourite piece of manipulation act by master magician Lance Burton.
It's not just about the trick. Its the look, the poise,the elegance and the connection with the audience.
Most manipulation magician stereotype you might be familiar with would be a super ugly tuxedu, lame classical music, and the magician pulling umbrellas, silks, canes and birds out from seemingly the thin air.
I like to call this magic masturbation, because the magician is the only person truly enjoying the show, there is no interaction, and no effort in pleasing the other party.
I eat magic breath magic shit magic live magic, and spend most of my time practicing or watching magic performances online when I'm on studying.I love magic, but I still cant finish watching most manipulation act without skipping.
Here is a clip i dicovered in the morning.
Beautiful act, beautiful girl. I did not start skipping until 4min30sec.
Awesome theme, good music, smooth movement.
Admire her passion.
Apr 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment